Goosemire Farm

     

BACK

     

     

 Looking west towards Castle Crag over Goosemire Farm, this holding also consisted of poor land, and just as the name suggests, it was a virtual mire with rock and only poor fell and sheep to keep the Bailey family company.

Just behind in the middle distance a tree lined hillock can be seen, this is called Wood Howe and can still be seen today sitting in the middle of the new lake as Wood Howe Island, now home to a noisy Cormorant colony, In the 1800's the rather eccentric landlord of the Dunn Bull, a Thomas Lamley, built a tower upon the hill, known as Lamley's Folly, supposedly to be able to see over the fell into the neighbouring valley, it only ever reached fifty feet in height, a long way short of the 1600 feet it would need to be, to look over into Swindale.

He also built a new wing onto the Inn, where a small square stone was erected, engraved upon it was the letters T L 1827, he also made a cart from a hollowed out tree trunk and used it on many occasion on trips to Penrith, to the great amusement of the locals, unperturbed he would shout to his horse " Get along Dragon, ne'er mind ' em laughing, the tower was still standing in 1820, but nothing now remains except the foundations and a few large stones.

     
 

 
     

 Again looking west into Riggindale, this time during the splendour of summer, to me this scene says it all, one of the most Beautiful settings one could ever lay eyes upon, Field Head can just be seen above in the top right most clump of trees.

     

     
 

Looking south towards the head of the valley.

 
     

 

Clipping day at Goosemire, here all the green would turn out to help, a real community spirit still exists in small valley communities, and repaid in  kind whenever needed by others, Arnold road can be seen passing below and behind the house, with Wood Howe behind and centre of shot.

     
 

 
     

BACK